Support women, babies and their partners to be more connected to their inner wisdom so that they can be more directly involved in their pregnancies, preparing for birth, motherhood and beyond.
You will learn the principles of shiatsu touch, based on the concept of nurturing the body as a whole. The body is seen as a microcosm of the earth/universe and therefore influenced by the rhythms of the seasons and the outside world. We need to nurture the body like a garden. Shiatsu can not only relieve physical symptoms but enable people to tap into their own resources, on a physical, emotional and spiritual level. This different approach to maternity care will enhance not just your touch skills but the way you support women with breathing, exercise and visualisations. You will even learn skills to support your own well being and prevent burn out.
understand the perinatal period in a new way, which will enhance your work with your clients, not simply adding in additional touch based skills, but a new approach to breathing, visualisation, movement and exercise
learn basic theoretical and practical principles of Chinese medicine and shiatsu in a simple and safe way, so that you can immediately start applying them to your work through the whole maternity period: pregnancy, birth and postnatally.
explore how shiatsu-based skills can support you personally – promoting your own well-being and preventing ‘burn-out’.
Shiatsu offers a specific form of healing touch and a different approach to maternity care which can enhance your work. You will learn basic theoretical and practical principles of Chinese medicine and shiatsu in a simple and safe way, so that you can immediately start applying them to your work through the whole maternity period: pregnancy, birth and postnatally.
This course has been running since 1999 teaching aspects of shiatsu which are relevant to midwives and other maternity health professionals. It has developed over the years through Suzanne’s teaching in different birth settings both in the UK and internationally. During the course you will complete a supervised practical session with maternity clients. After the course, you can choose to complete case studies and a project so that you can receive the Wellmother certificate in Maternity Shiatsu Skills for midwives, doulas and maternity care workers. More information on this will be giving during the course.
What you will learn
- Knowledge of shiatsu techniques for different stages of pregnancy.
- Shiatsu techniques for labour, including their use in various birth positions and how to include these in birth preparation sessions with partners.
- Awareness and massage of the baby in the womb, including techniques to aid anterior cephalic presentation of baby.
- Shiatsu techniques appropriate for the new-born, including how to teach to parents.
- Use of exercise, breathing, relaxation, visualisations: this will not only be of use in supporting your clients, but useful for you personally and help you learn new skills to relaxation to enhance your own well-being and vitality and reduce burn out..
- Oriental views of pregnancy, birth and the postnatal period – including energy changes in the mother and development of the foetus/baby: this can give you a new approach to your work .
- Supporting development of the mother’s and father’s relationship with the baby and their confidence in their own bodies and wisdom.
- Guidelines on how the shiatsu approach can be included within midwifery practice including when to refer to a Shiatsu practitioner or other relevant health professional.
Suzanne’s course for midwives enabled me in 6 days to have a good knowledge of the main ways in which to balance energy with shiatsu. I was able to use it immediately in my work.
Shiatsu touch enables a quick and profound connection with a labouring woman. Almost immediately she can relax and go with the process. My connections with my clients have been enriched.
The full training is 6 days (9.30-5.30 each day). These are the deepening skills days ie days 3 to 6 of the course.
You will have already attended days 1 and 2
Days three and four: EARLY PREGNANCY AND POSTNATAL
Consolidating practice and learning more about shiatsu for pregnancy and the postnatal period
We will cover
- Development and consolidation of shiatsu theory including learning about the Penetrating and Girdle vessel
- Development of Shiatsu Meridian Exercises
- Shiatsu for the abdomen, neck, legs (Gall Bladder, Stomach, Bladder) and arms (Lung , Heart Protector) and the Penetrating Vessel
- Shiatsu for Pregnancy and the postnatal period
- Shiatsu in the Side Position
By the end of these two days, you will have more confidence in your work during birth and also some ideas of how to include shiatsu in antenatal and postnatal care for specific issues.
Days five and six; CONSOLIDATING SKILLS
Deepening our understanding and working with maternity clients
These two days offer an opportunity to consolidate the skills learnt during the course and understand more fully about how to apply them to different practical situations.
Day five is focused on fine tuning your skills and deepening your understandings. A practical skill such as shiatsu needs a time of repetition and consolidation. We also take time to clarify and deepen your understanding of the theory which is so different from the western approach and takes time to integrate more fully.
Day six provides a deeper consolidation by offering a supervised parent and baby clinic. We invite a mix of pregnant and postnatal mums and their babies and partners (where possible) so that you have a chance to work in a supervised setting in order to be able to refine your skills.