Learn Shiatsu touch to support women, babies and their partners to be more connected to their inner wisdom in preparing for birth
You will learn the principles of shiatsu touch, based on the concept of nurturing the body as a whole. The body is seen as a microcosm of the earth/universe and therefore influenced by the rhythms of the seasons and the outside world. We need to nurture the body like a garden. Shiatsu can not only relieve physical symptoms but enable people to tap into their own resources, on a physical, emotional and spiritual level. This different approach to maternity care will enhance not just your touch skills but the way you support women with breathing, exercise and visualisations. You will even learn skills to support your own well being and prevent burn out
understand birth in a new way, which will enhance your work with your clients, not simply adding in additional touch based skills, but a new approach to breathing, visualisation, movement and exercise
learn basic theoretical and practical principles of Chinese medicine and shiatsu in a simple and safe way, so that you can immediately start applying this approach to your work through the whole maternity period: pregnancy, birth and postnatally.
explore how shiatsu-based skills can support you personally – promoting your own well-being and preventing ‘burn-out’.
What is in the on line course
The course is set up with 6 lessons and in each lesson, there is a mix of videos, audios and text documents.. At the end of each lesson is a quiz to check your learning and an assignment, which is either some practical work, or reflective piece. You can work through these topics and the assignments at your own pace and review any material as often as you want. You have one year access to this course.
- 1: What is Shiatsu and General principles of Chinese medicine
- You learn the theory behind shiatsu: the powerful system of Chinese medicine, which acupuncturists also use. You will also learn what shiatsu is: why we do what we do, and what kind of touch we are using.
- 2: 12 meridians
- You will learn some exercises and visualisations to experience the 12 channels in your body to support your own well being as well as to learn how to prepare yourself to give shiatsu. I hope this section will inspire you to make shiatsu, part of your daily life. There is also some theory about the 12 meridians as background.
- 3: Extraordinary Vessels
- You will learn some more exercises to experience The Extraordinary Vessels which support your body in other ways. You will also learn some theory about the Extraordinary Vessels. You don’t need to remember all of this: it is more there to help you understand the depth of shiatsu and something that you can come back to as you work more.
- 4: Foundation shiatsu techniques
- Now you have understood more about what shiatsu is we can start to apply our knowledge to working with other people. You will learn more about shiatsu touch and developing the way you touch so that you can already add shiatsu into the way you work.
- 5:Techniques for birth
- You will learn some more specific shiatsu techniques like some of the most important points and connections which can be used in the birth period. This includes work supporting the last few weeks of pregnancy. You will also learn a little about the eastern approach to birth like how the different phases of birth relate to different elements
- 6: Professional issues
- This topic is about drawing everything together so that you can have some ideas of what you can integrate into your practice.
Videos, audios, forums, documents, quizzes, reflective assignments: on line is a wonderful way, in some ways better than in person, to learn why and in what situations you can use your practical skills. You can work through the theory at your own pace and explore exercises and meditations to prepare you for hands on work. Discuss with Suzanne and other students on the course forum. For hands on skills and techniques, on line videos and support give you useful tools to start integrating new work into your practice and get feedback about relevant issues. However, do remember, to fine tune your skills the best way is to have some face to face supervision to gain specific feedback of how YOU are connecting and using your body. If you like the practical work presented in the on line courses, I strongly recommend that you attend an in person course or arrange a personal supervision with me or a Wellmother teacher to take your work to the next level!
Shiatsu offers a specific form of healing touch and a different approach to maternity care which can enhance your work.
Suzanne has been teaching aspects of shiatsu which are relevant to midwives and other maternity health professionals since 1999 and has developed it through teaching in many different birth settings both in the UK and internationally.
She has put together some of the highlights of this training in HD videos so you can learn with her
This course is a great foundation if you want to do the in person course, or if you have taken the in person Pregnancy Massage course with Suzanne and want to deepen your knowledge of shiatsu.
"Many therapists are passionate about learning and developing their craft, but struggle to take the time out of busy clinics to attend courses. Suzanne’s course is as deep and thorough as her in-person course and is well worth signing up for.
The online option is flexible, allowing you to work at your own pace and recap on any topics you wish to revisit. Online courses are also helpful if you take in information by listening or watching rather than just reading."
Avni also attended the in person course and wrote a blog