Support pregnant women and their babies in their life changing journey: an exciting time to use shiatsu and the Extraordinary Vessels
You may or may not be working with pregnant women, but you feel that you would like a deeper understanding of how to support women and their families during this life changing time. You may even be unsure of how to work with certain aspects of pregnancy. This course introduces you to the powerful Extraordinary Vessels, fundamental in pregnancy, into your work.
You will :
Gain a foundation with which to support women and their families during this special time with specialised shiatsu skills, along with positioning, postural exercises, breathing, visualisations and self care
Understand the body in a way which will enable you to offer holistic support not just for pregnant women and their families, but adding to your skill base for all clients.
Learn more about your own connection to pregnancy and your time in the womb, whether or not you have been pregnant.
What you will learn
- Eastern theory of pregnancy which will help you deepen your understanding of the Extraordinary Vessels (especially Penetrating, Girdle, Conception and Governing) and an introduction in how to integrate the 12 channels into your work with pregnant clients
- Relevant Anatomy and Physiology of pregnancy in an engaging and practical way
- How to work with the different stages of pregnancy with lower risk (such as pelvic girdle instability)
- Some ideas of how to work with the pregnant abdomen safely and creatively
- Relevant issues regarding positioning of the pregnant client
- How to include key postural exercises to reduce common complaints of pregnancy, which may also benefit you
- How to support the pregnant woman’s connection with her baby and partner and be aware of the emotional changes as well as the physical, helping prepare her for birth and motherhood
- Breathing and visualisations which will support your clients but also be useful for you and help you understand your relationship to pregnancy more deeply, whether or not you have had children.
More detail on the course
Suzanne has been teaching maternity shiatsu since 1999, and this course provides an introduction to her work with Pregnancy and the Extraordinary Vessels. The main difference between this and the full pregnancy module (4 days) is that we focus on introducing the Penetrating and Girdle Vessel and how to include them in work with low risk pregnant women at different stages of their pregnancy. The 4 day module also covers higher risk and includes a clinic with pregnant women and further case study work. At the end of this weekend however, you should feel much more confident in working with pregnant women.
The course runs from 9.30 to 5.30 Saturday and till 5 on the Sunday.
I am grateful as a Shiatsu Practitioner as my studies with her completely changed the quality and depth of my treatments, not only with pregnant women but every client.
My aim was to develop my knowledge of the ‘energetics’ of pregnancy and to develop my Shiatsu skills to support any pregnant clients. The course subsequently delivered all of this and much more. What I didn’t expect was the profound impact that the course would have on me personally and in terms of my professional practice. To any male Shiatsu practitioners who plan to work with pregnant clients this course is a MUST