Shiatsu and Massage Individual sessions with Suzanne Yates in Bristol
Update: in view of current situation, I am now offering individual on line sessions where I can offer guidance on exercises, meditations, and distant healing and massage sessions. I connect with you and then guide you on what to work with. These one hour sessions and I am offering them on a donations basis.
Contact me if you are interested.
I’ve worked as a shiatsu and massage therapist since qualifying with the Healing Shiatsu Education centre in 1988 and the Maitri Foundation. I work with clients at all stages of their lives from babies and pregnant mums to the elderly. I specialise in women’s health but I also work with men. I run sessions for couples teaching how to support each other through touch. This can for any reason but I often runs sessions on birth preparation, supporting fertility, pregnancy and postnatal support.
To the right is a video of me teaching pregnancy massage: it gives some idea of me and how I work. I hope to post a shorter one soon with shiatsu more relevant to all stages of life.
If you want to read more about my story please visit
I include shiatsu or massage as appropriate to the client. I specialise in women’s health, from puberty to post menopause, including menstrual issues, fertility, pregnancy, birth and postnatal support. I am also qualified in sports massage. I love teaching self help techniques for shiatsu and massage and exercise and breath awareness.MORE ABOUT ME
I have written several books on Pregnancy and birth and am currently working on a new book about some of the lesser known channels of acupuncture which can support everyone at all stages of their lives.
I teach shiatsu and massage therapists and midwives world wide.
I am fully insured and registered with the Shiatsu Society and the CNHC for massage and shiatsu.
How I work
Shiatsu and massage individual sessions
What to expect from a session
The main focus of the session is usually either shiatsu or massage or a combination of the two. However sometimes people come more for exercise guidance.
- You can choose to receive either fully clothed or directly on your skin. Shiatsu is usually clothed.
- I mostly work on a futon on the floor but I can offer treatments on the table if that is what you prefer.
- I begin by asking some questions to find out what is going on for you and how I can help you.
- Then we might do some breathing or exercises before we start the hands on work.
- We create a calm space and an awareness of your body.
- After this, you lie down, relax and the shiatsu/massage part of the session begins.
- Some people like to receive in silence.
- Sometimes people verbalise what they are experiencing while receiving the treatment.
- The hands on part usually lasts about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Afterwards we may talk about what emerged and I may recap the breathing/exercises or suggest a focus to support the session