Shiatsu and Massage Individual sessions with Suzanne Yates in Bristol
Update: In March, I started offering live on line sessions where I can offer guidance on exercises, meditations, and then either connect with you or guide you through self shiatsu and massage. They work well for partner sessions too e.g. birth preparation and I have found them to be surprisingly effective. These are one hour sessions and I am offering them on a donations basis during the current crisis.
Contact me if you are interested.
I’ve worked as a shiatsu and massage therapist since qualifying with the Healing Shiatsu Education centre in 1988 and the Maitri Foundation. I work with clients at all stages of their lives from babies and pregnant mums to the elderly. I specialise in women’s health but I also work with men. I run sessions for couples teaching how to support each other through touch. This can for any reason but I often run sessions on birth preparation, supporting fertility, pregnancy and postnatal support.
To the right is a video of me teaching pregnancy massage: it gives some idea of me and how I work. I hope to post a shorter one soon with shiatsu more relevant to all stages of life.
If you want to read more about my story please visit
I include shiatsu or massage as appropriate to the client. I specialise in women’s health, from puberty to post menopause, including menstrual issues, fertility, pregnancy, birth and postnatal support. I am also qualified in sports massage. I love teaching self help techniques for shiatsu and massage and exercise and breath awareness. I can teach you baby and children shiatsu and massage. I also love doing partner sessions. These offer an opportunity to connect with your partner and support each other. They can enhance your relationship but are especially useful if you are trying to conceive, are preparing for birth or want to offer postnatal support.MORE ABOUT ME
I have written several books on Pregnancy and birth and am currently working on a new book about some of the lesser known channels of acupuncture which can support everyone at all stages of their lives.
I teach shiatsu and massage therapists and midwives world wide.
I am fully insured and registered with the Shiatsu Society and the CNHC for massage and shiatsu.
How I work
Shiatsu and massage individual sessions
What to expect from a session
The main focus of the session is usually either shiatsu or massage or a combination of the two. However sometimes people come more for exercise guidance.
- You can choose to receive either fully clothed or directly on your skin. Shiatsu is usually clothed.
- I mostly work on a futon on the floor but I can offer treatments on the table if that is what you prefer.
- I begin by asking some questions to find out what is going on for you and how I can help you.
- Then we might do some breathing or exercises before we start the hands on work.
- We create a calm space and an awareness of your body.
- After this, you lie down, relax and the shiatsu/massage part of the session begins.
- Some people like to receive in silence.
- Sometimes people verbalise what they are experiencing while receiving the treatment.
- The hands on part usually lasts about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Afterwards we may talk about what emerged and I may recap the breathing/exercises or suggest a focus to support the session